Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blog 2


General impressions and reflections

Chapter 10: Understanding the Life Cycles of Network-Based Learning Communities

My first thought as I started to read this chapter is the use of life cycles. By using the term “life cycles” it implies extinction. However, I do not necessarily see that all network-based learning communities have an end. At the same time, in the context of this chapter, the six stages that are described give a different perspective as projects end with a wrap up and a publication. Anyway, just a thought that I wanted to put out there!

I also feel like the underlying premise of this chapter was about the mediator’s role and how this role essentially dictates the future of the learning communities. As we have been discussing the last couple of weeks, the person in-charge of the specified learning community needs to be constantly aware of the learning or lack of learning that is taking place. With all that said, this aspect needs to be strategically developed during the instructional design phase. When I connect the instructional design concepts from the text, The Systematic Design of Instruction by Walter Dick, Lou Carey and James Carey (2005), I can not help but see some of the similarities in the cycle.



Although Stage 2: Refinement in Levin et al. (1992) seems to be linear in the course of the six stages, I personally find that stage to be cyclical in the sense that the rest of the stages can resort back to refinement if needed. I find that it would better understood and applied as it is illustrated in the Dick and Carey model I have pasted above.

By creating this project, both participants (students and teacher) became actively engaged, to the point of accelerated learning. By “doing”, both participants applied new and preexisting skills (my view of constructivism) in multiple contexts, which will assist them to recall new skills in situations when needed. Additionally, this also illustrates the mentor role educators can play in guiding the student learning. Overall, I really enjoyed the addition to the classroom. I feel that it provides students with multiple approaches to learning. Although some students enjoy and excel at one-way transmission and the direct instruction approach, others do not. It is similar to the learning environments that I create at work; we have to take into account the multiple learning characteristics that exist, not just the majority or the “cookie-cutter” approach that seems to be the easiest.

Lastly, I find the information to be helpful in deciding the best way to implement and apply my own learning community at work. Originally I had wanted a discussion forum with a select group of leaders to continue, without a predetermined end. I now see that my original idea may not best idea and putting an end to it may actually assist in the success of the discussions.
What are the specific implications that you have drawn that can be applied to your project of building a virtual learning community? (CH. 10)

Some of the areas that I need to consider when constructing my learning environment are fist and foremost, sending out a proposal message that will get the attention and peak the interest of the staff at ODMHSAS (Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services). The proposal message is such a key element in providing a purpose, which all adult learners want and need, and developing goals that will be practical and useful to the learners. One question that I keep thinking about is how I can provide the learners a resource that incorporates their direct managers. As I was reading through Chapter 10, I kept thinking about the value the teachers played in mentoring their students. The same could be applied in a business setting with direct leaders engaging in the learned principles and concepts the staff comes back to their working environments with. As part of the instructional design, I will need to either create discussion boards that allow their direct manager to read and respond or provide leading questions for the direct manager to ask of the staff member. I will also need to ensure I describe and define roles for the participants and how the system works collectively and individually.

Lastly, one of the issues that I have constantly struggled with as I think about the creation of the virtual learning community is creating closure. Specifically, I have a group of 22 Executive Leadership Academy participants that will be completing their 4th and final module that has been going on throughout the year. My issue is that as part of the virtual learning community, I have created a blog for these learners to continue sharing experiences and how they have applied the concepts and principles in their contexts. After reading Chapter 10, I have come to the conclusion that they need closure to feel the benefits of the Academy. However, I may incorporate some of the participants in the next academy so that there are mentors for the participants to reflect and discuss ideas with.
General impressions and reflections

Chapter 11: Learning in Cyberspace: An Educational View of Virtual Community

In starting to think about my own virtual learning community, it seems only appropriate to conduct a learner and context analysis before taking on the role of the facilitator/initiator in a virtual community. Since I relate more to the creation of educational communities, my impressions and reflections weigh greater on creating learning objectives and facilitating to a group of pre-selected participants. I thought this was important to share so you know the foundation on which I am creating my reflections.

The facilitator in an online community, much like that of a face-to-face community, requires active participation to achieve some level of measurable success. In order to achieve that, the facilitator needs to have some understanding of the participants and engage them into the learning. This is part of the shared responsibility that online community members need take seriously. In terms of our own class and virtual community, if Dr. Ge would allow students to passively read a few of the more active learners responses without posting their own thoughts and ideas, then the entire learning community would lose a great deal of knowledge. By enrolling in this class, all of us understood that part of our knowledge will be constructed by the exchange of information/experiences from each other as well as Dr. Ge. The shared responsibility is a two-way transmission of communication. And as we continue to get to know each other, the better we will become at extracting experiences and asking each other to share information about a topic we know they have experience in. And this can really only be done by the participants/students themselves, the facilitator can initiate it in the beginning but as the learning community grows and evolves, it really comes down to the individual students.

Another element of a virtual community that I feel has its benefit is the involvement of most participants. Typically, in a face-to-face environment facilitators have to worry about normative behavior in which students will agree with the group consensus just so they do not create conflict. Or, they agree so they do not have to explain why they think differently than everyone else. It has been my experience that virtual community members do not fall into that type of normative behavior as frequently as what face-to-face community members do.

As I continued to read through Chapter 11 I found myself wondering if it is common practice to define a self-directed learner. This is one area that I will need to incorporate in my own virtual community as I want the students to go outside of the community to apply and challenge the information that is being shared. However, in order to do this, I want them (the students) to be aware of their own cognition skills. If this is discusses in the criteria that Kollock (1998) discusses, the students will have a framework to organize and construct the new knowledge.
Lastly, I found the discussion and outline of 1) Curriculum of Initiation and Governance, 2) Curriculum of Access and 3) Curriculum of Membership to be a practical approach in creating any learning environment, virtual or face-to-face. In instructional design, these would be part of the analysis process leading up to the design of the instruction. These are incredibly important factors when considering the intention of the learning environment.


What do you see as the possibilities of virtual communities for learning and change after all the chapters so far?

I think there are endless possibilities in creating virtual communities. Any time you can stimulate learning, whether that is through Youtube video or through an online chat discussion for class, learning will happen. And when learning happens, the mental models of the learners are changed. I just feel that with technology growing, virtual communities will become an even greater tool for everyone to use. I know at one point in our discussions, someone brought up the fact that technology can not replace the human interaction and I agree with that. However, I think that technology will open our minds to such greater possibilities that our human interactions will also benefit from it.

4 comments:

GWHIS said...

Wow, Sherry! Yuu are very thoughtful! I did not see the life cycles of a virtual community as being linear, I saw them as being cyclical. Do you think it's possible for a community to move in and out of the different stages of development? I am thinking much like teachers do in the CBAM model as they learn something new or incorporate new innovations?

I agree that discussion among and between different "levels" of organizational structure! I think that's key to true refinement in the quest for excellence!

Do you think your leadershp academy participants would benefit from a F2F reflection day where they showcase their work?

As far as self-directed learners, check out www.novemberlearning.com and some of his resources on students being self-directed! It's enlightening!!

Marilyn Vrooman said...

Sherry,

I am really interested in how you used the term “mediator” instead of facilitator. I wonder what the difference is in a learning community or a virtual community. I loved the visual piece where you connected the instructional design concept, it gave me a better understanding of how all the pieces come together. I appreciate the way you really broke down “refinement”. It gave me a step by step understanding of how relevance, relationship, and rigor can be imbedded into the virtual learning community. You also provided a great way to emphasize differentiated instruction in the classroom.

You are so right on when you talk about the proposals being clear on “purpose”. Many times that critical step is not clear. Your cross reference from education into the business setting would make graduating from high school or college an easier transition into the workplace. You talked about the need for closure. I understand closure from an educator’s point of view, but I’m not sure some things can’t be left open-ended. I know chapter 10 eludes to closure, but in dealing with adults, I think it is important to leave a portal of networking that these cohorts in your academy can always use, because they have taken time through your leadership to develop trust and sometimes it can get really lonely out here. Those connections that they have made could provide just the right amount of support for one to move on confidently.

As you described shared responsibility being a two-way transmission of communication of when I taught sex education at the high school. If I had not been open to two-way communication, I would never have been able to textbook knowledge to what these kids were saying and doing on the street. I just wish we taught teachers better in college to be facilitators of knowledge and how to engage students for shared learning instead of the teacher’s being “know it alls”. Your open mind to infinity in your last paragraph tells a lot about the person you are. You are not afraid of change and you keep an open mind into all possibilities. What a great attribute to have as a teacher, facilitator and leader in the community (where physical or virtual). –Marilyn Vrooman

cmansell said...

Sherry,
I'm sorry I couldn't find you blog at first. Anyway, I think you did a very thorough job in describing and discussing these chapters. I also did not see the life cycles of a v.c. as being totally linear. I seemed to think that , although circular in nature alot of times, cycles can also be linear in nature overall. What I mean is that maybe within linear movement, there can be "smaller" cycles within the linear movement as in the lifespan. We're all moving toward point b from point a, but digressing and progressing all along the way.

I also liked the instructional design concept/connection.

Good Work, cynthia

Grace said...

Sherry, thanks for sharing and the Dick & Carey model. I can see that you are coming from the instructional design background, and your experience and perspective definitely contributing to this learning community, most of whom (I guess) have not received formal training in instructional design.

You also did a very thorough job sharing and reflecting on those chapters.

Xun Ge